This is a technique that I've used in one of my recent layout. I've used the "harlequin" background stamp and the "heart" from the Romance stamp set in February's Get Inked! Kit in the process of jazzing up my pattern paper.
Here's what I've done.
1) Stamp the "harlequin" background stamp image on the area using clear embossing ink and pour some fine clear embossing powder over it. Tilt the excess and emboss it using a heating tool.
2) Ink the area using some lighter shade of distress ink.
3) Stamp the "heart" image on it using clear embossing ink and heat emboss it again with some fine clear embossing powder.
4) Ink over it with some darker shade of distress ink. Use as many shades of distress inks as you wish. Use a wet wipe to wipe off the distress ink on top of the heat embossed image.
5) Lastly, sprinkle some water onto it using your fingers to create a water distressing effect.