I wanted to try this technique I read about in a magazine in distressing a photo but it didn't end up quite the same so I made things up along the way.
Here's a step-by-step tutorial in distressing a photo if you care to try it out:
1. Let the photo soak in warm water for around 15-30 minutes.
2. Use fine sandpaper to "erase" the part of the photo you want to remove.
3. Soak the photo again in the warm water to remove pulp.
4. Decorate sanded area any way you want. For me, I used watercolor pencils to doodle patterns. Then I used Queen Kat Designs Random Text Background Stamp with Staz On.
5. For the collage pieces, layer different scraps of patterned paper in a quilt pattern. Swipe a thin layer of white acrylic paint on top and colorize with gouache. Stamp Queen Kat Designs Vintage Time Background Stamp with Staz On once dry.
6. As a finishing touch, use black charcoal pencil to outline some collage pieces and draw lines around the photo with watercolor pencil. P.S. Charcoal pencil can be messy so you might want to spray with fixative once done.
7. Stick letter stickers for title, add sticker embellishment, and draw lines around all stickers with watercolor pencil.
So here's the layout I ended up with.
Hope you have a great ink-filled day!